Why Support Cohen Hillel Academy?
There are many reasons why Cohen Hillel Academy is deserving of strong individual and community support.
An Educational Alternative
As a private independent educational institution Cohen Hillel Academy offers flexibility, responsiveness and the ability to create new programs quickly to address the individual needs of students and the larger community.
With a low faculty to student ratio of 1: 9, each student receives the maximum individual attention of teachers who are skilled and experienced in educating young people.
Additionally, all students benefit from a variety of unique educational experiences inside and outside the classroom, including:
- a pluralistic Jewish life and learning program designed to develop, foster and enhance the full spectrum of Jewish life;
- a requirement that each student individually perform a community service project as well as participate in class and school community projects;
- peer mentoring and tutoring programs with the Ford School in Lynn, which have, for the past twenty one years, involved upper school Hillel students in a Reading Buddy program with the Ford School kindergarteners and first graders and more recently involved Hillel seventh and eighth graders tutoring Ford School students in preparation for their taking the MCAS in mathematics as part of a program called CHAMPS (Cohen Hillel Academy Mentoring Program for Students);
- an exchange program for upper school students with KIPP Academy, a charter school in Lynn, focused on helping Hillel Academy students examine their own identity and consider the identity of other ethnic and religious groups in a tolerant, nonjudgmental manner;
- guest speakers such as Dr. Thomas Roberts, who as one of the Little Rock Nine, integrated Central High School in 1957;
- day field trips to area cultural, scientific and historic sites such as Plimouth Plantation as well as longer trips to historic places such as Washington D.C., and Atlanta; and
- inter-generational learning experiences, such as visits to an area nursing home.
For those students in need of assistance beyond the traditional classroom setting, a team of specialists are available through the Learning Center.
This team includes a Director of Student Services, two reading specialists, a math specialist, two
speech-language pathologists, and two special education teachers. These specialists provide direct
services across a range of areas including reading, written language, math, organizational and study skills,
and speech-language therapy.
The families of Hillel Academy form a diverse community that reflects the spectrum of Jewish life.
Hillel Academy offers a unique, engaging educational experience that provides students with a lifelong foundation for learning, leadership, responsibility and respect for self and others.
This is accomplished by:
- Providing a strong secular curriculum within an academically differentiated learning environment;
- Offering an integrated dual-language Jewish studies program that emphasizes values and ethics, and celebrates Jewish learning and living;
- Emphasizing community and global responsibility and integrating it into an overall
- Providing study skills that carry our students successfully through high school,
college and beyond
- Generating thought provoking interactive dialogue in the classroom that ignites the spark of learning.
Students are inspired to attain academic success, become leaders in their communities and beyond, and make significant contributions throughout their lives to the world around them.
Why Support Cohen Hillel Academy Now?
Cohen Hillel Academy cannot stand still. It must not only secure financial support for its mission today, but for future generations of students to follow.
Support for Cohen Hillel Academy is
. . . an investment to remain competitive and excel
Education today is rapidly changing with new approaches to teaching and learning as well as new kinds of classroom learning environments, and new technologies. In a world where the total body of information doubles every five years, we must selectively invest in new areas of knowledge. The rapid pace of change requires an investment to stay current and competitive.
Change is also creating many opportunities. We must have sufficient resources to invest in selected opportunities to further develop, improve and adapt, and we must provide strong support to retain and recruit talented teachers who can prepare students for the challenges today and tomorrow.
Lack of investment causes stagnation and eventual decline while investment enhances student attraction and retention, development of new educational experiences for students and magnifies Cohen Hillel Academy’s favorable impact on its students and the community.
. . . an investment in the North Shore and beyond
Cohen Hillel Academy has been an integral part of the religious, cultural and educational fabric of the North Shore for over 56 years and continues to contribute to the vibrancy of the North Shore and beyond through its alumni who become competent, responsible and compassionate citizens as well as creative leaders.
. . . an investment in the future
The future of the North Shore, the region, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, this country and beyond will require more competent, responsible and compassionate citizens as well as leaders who at a formative stage of their lives have been taught to embrace a love of learning, a sense of charity, and the intellectual capacity to think logically and critically. Cohen Hillel Academy provides an environment which develops and enhances these characteristics.